The course will provide a description of residential HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilator), ERV (Energy or Enthalpy Recovery Ventilator) and Smart DCV (Demand Control Ventilation) systems. Energy and humidity impact on a residence in different climatic regions and varying occupancy will be presented. The importance and value of active monitoring and control of indoor air quality will be discussed.
Differentiate the characteristics of HRVs, ERV, and Smart Ventilation systems and how they help with LEED BD + C Homes V4 Smart Local Exhaust
- Understand the difference between "ventilation standards" (ASHRAE 62.2), Passive House requirements, LEED BD + C Homes V4 enhanced whole house ventilation credits and indoor air quality
- Articulate the systems that maintain healthy indoor air conditions in different climatic regions with variations in occupancy and how to ensure LEED BD + C Homes V4 pre-occupancy flush is completed.
- Gain an understanding of the value of human productivity relative to the energy cost of ventilation system operation
Continuing Education Units (CEUS)
- GBCI ( LEED APH)
- NARI Green
- Certified Green Professional (CGP)
- Certified GreenHome Professional (CGHP)
- May be applicable to your state-based design or contractor license*
Ty Newell is a co-owner and co-founder of Build Equinox, a company devoted to inventing technologies for healthy, comfortable and sustainable living. He retired from the University of Illinois in 2007 as an Assistant Dean in the College of Engineering, having advised 70 masters and doctoral graduate students, and is an emeritus professor of mechanical engineering. Ty's degrees are in mechanical engineering (BS,'74, UMichigan and MS/PhD, '78/'80, UUtah). He has lectured around the world on indoor air quality, comfort, solar energy, building energy efficiency, and resource conservation including keynote addresses at the Solar Energy Society of India's 25th Silver Jubilee in Hyderabad and at the TTMD Conference (Turkish ASHRAE) in Istanbul, Turkey. He has been a Fulbright Scholar at the Universidad Nacional de Salta in Argentina, an Ercotaf Scholar (European Union) at the EPFL in Lausanne Switzerland, and an Academic Leader at Tec de Monterrey in Queretaro Mexico. Ty lives in a 100% solar powered home that includes automated fresh air control and rainwater harvesting in Urbana Illinois. Build Equinox is located in a 4500sqft facility in Urbana IL that is also 100% solar powered.